Sandra no Daibōken: Valkyrie to no Deai (サンドラの大冒険 ワルキューレとの出逢い, roughly "Sandra's Great Adventure: Encounter with the Valkyrie"), renamed Whirlo in Europe, is an action game released for Super Nintendo in Japan and Europe in 1992 and rereleased in Nintendo Power format in Japan in 1998. The game is a prequel to Valkyrie no Bōken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu.
- Sandra (サンドラ, known as Whirlo in Europe) - The main character. He travels around the world with a pitchfork to find a cure for his deceased son.
- Zouna (ゾウナ, known as Malix in Europe) - The main antagonist.
- Zul (ズール, Slick in Europe) - A thief that likes to obtain money.
- Andy (アンディ) - A pink Quarkman that is forced to work for the King of the Crescent Moon.
- Sabine (サビーヌ, Steven in Europe) - Andy's children. Sabine was captured by the King of the Crescent Moon so Andy would work for him. Sandra manages to save Sabine, but before falling, the king cast a meteor shower and they got separated. Sabine later meets with Andy again.
- Tiana (ティアナ) - The princess of Cauldera Castle. When her boyfriend disappeared, she began to cry endlessly and is flooding the area. Her appearance and personality changes depending of the player's answer to Gramps' question.
- Nicol (ニコル, Nick in Europe) - Nicol is the name of several persons in Cauldera Castle, four of which are tricksters. The tallest Nicol is the boyfriend of princess Tiana, is a good pan flute player, and loves kappa cucumbers, which the princess has in large amounts. One of the short Nicols is a master viola player. One blue person gives hints on how to identify the Nicol Sandra is looking for, giving him five sake (tea in Europe) to give to them.
- Gramps (ジジ) - An aged man in Cauldera Castle that asked Gady to build a ship for him. He takes the princess to Sandra and Nicol after Enmaconda's defeat, but the ship is attacked by pirates and sunk.
- Hinageshi (ひなげし, Peppy in Europe) - A young girl which father and mother had died and lives with her grandmother, which wants to see her married before she passes away. When she asks Sandra who she should marry, the player's choice will determine if she will marry Toto or Gady.
- Toto (トト, Buck in Europe) - A master of whirling blades.
- Gady (ガディ, Grady in Europe) - A carpenter.
- Tarou (たろう, Nubs in Europe) - A young kappa that dreams to become a viola player, but his father wants him to follow the family business and become a cucumber farmer. The player's actions will determine if he will be a viola player or a cucumber farmer.
- Pixies (ピクシー) - Pixies.
- Fairies (フェアリー, mistranslated as Ferry in Europe) - Fairies.
- Walter (ウォルター) -
- King of the Crescent Moon (みかづきおう) - An evil king in Alsandra Mountain that forced the Quarkman tribe to work for him.
- Enmaconda (エンマコンダ, shortened as Conda and Anconda in the Europe) - A large snake-like monster.